Coruss synthetic hair is a new fibre designed for bows. A collaboration between the Orchestre de chambre de Toulouse and the Institut Français du Textile et de l’Habillement has given birth to a new generation of bow. These strands are an alternative to the traditional materials that have been used by bow makers and violin makers for centuries. That’s why I offer Coruss hair to fit on your bow.
Advantages of Coruss synthetic hair
Innovations are made to meet specific needs. In that case, Coruss is here to solve the natural hair’s main flaws, while offering the same qualities of sound.
Flaws of natural hair
Horsehair has been used as bow hair for centuries. And yet, just like any other natural product, it suffers from inherent flaws. According to Coruss, they are:
- Irregularity: even a high-quality hair is made of strands of random, various diameters.
- Quality inconsistency since it is a natural material, you can never know how good the hair will be until you have fitted it on your bow and tried it out.
- Natural hair also absorbs and renders humidity, hence modifying the length and the tension of the stick when the musician plays. This impairs the playing sensations and the technique gestures.
- Often breaks during practice.
Finally, high-quality horsehair is sorted and handpicked thoroughly. This painstaking process comes with a price: up to more than 2000€ per kilo for top-of-the-range hair. Keep in mind that such an amount of material will be used to make between 100and 200bows. Thus what really is expensive is the time spent on sorting the hair. For a bow maker, the hair selection can be as long as the actual rehair of the bow.
Best Violin Strings for Beginners
The topic of strings tends to resonate with most violinists. They are indeed a crucial aspect of the instrument’s sound quality, as they concern both the instrument’s tone and playability. This is why choosing the best violin strings is essential … Read More
Advantages offered by Coruss
- The diameters are perfectly calibrated: the gauge of every single strand is known precisely.
- The hair is very strong and can’t break during practice, even when playing the most striking modern pieces.
- Coruss hair lasts way longer than any other (at least 7 times longer, according to the tests).
- Hair selection is no longer necessary, since each strand is already perfect.
Coruss, a vegan alternative
Animal rights may also be a decisive factor for some musicians. Though horsehair collect doesn’t imply any act of cruelty (you can read more about hair selection on this article), using animals to commercial aims obviously doesn’t appeal to animal-rights advocates. Hence a lot of them ask me about what synthetic material could fit on their instruments and accessories. It turns out Corusssynthetic hair is the only solution available on the market. Furthermore, it also inspired the first entirely vegan bows. You can find them on the shop!
Good to know about Coruss hair
Here are a few things I’ve noticed about using this new fibre:
- They have the same playability no matter the string (gut, synthetic, steel), which is a basic requisite to replace natural hair.
- Same goes with any type of rosin. However you must apply more on your first use. Note that there is a Coruss rosin designed specifically to enhance the performances of synthetic hair.
- The fibre is more stretch than natural hair: it means you must tighten it more at first. It will then stretch and stabilise after a few days.
- Since it is less dense than natural hair, one hair needs are made of more strands than usual.
- If the hair is damp, you can heat it up.
When I first this fibre, I was astounded by its results. What’s more, I could hardly tell it apart from natural hairs of various qualities. Though the strings and the hair rubbing against each other makes a characteristic noise, I don’t think anyone except the musician can hear it.
All in all, Coruss hair displays a more powerful and precise sound.
Try Coruss hair
If you want to try bows fitted with Coruss synthetic fibre or replace your current hair, you’re welcome to my workshop. Please do not hesitate contact me and get an appointment. You can also check out my page about bows to have an idea of my prices.
There are no reviews yet.