I offer you a Passion-Tradition Artisan violin setup, prepared, and adjusted just for you. These are high-quality instruments that can be of great use during your studies. Even for the most advanced players, they will be remarkable companions in their musical adventures.
Passion-Tradition – Guan Kaiming workshop
Beijing – China
Characteristics of the Passion-Tradition Artisan violin
Derived from an Italian word during the Renaissance, an Artisan refers to the person who gives its craft to others. Nowadays, craftsmen are people who work with a traditional savoir-faire and their own experience to bring their creations into the world.
First and foremost, the violins of the Passion-Tradition Artisanseries are entirely handmade in keeping with the tradition. To begin with, they are made of beautiful tonewoods selected and dried for more than ten years. Among these woods are nice maple boards with great flame, and a very straight spruce. The flame maple back can be one or two-piece. Each instrument is handmade from start to finish, which means the archings are completely carved and every violin, viola, or cello has its own personality.
The varnish is also applied by hand. Made of shellac, it looks deep, warm, honey-coloured, and brand new.
The fittings (pegs, tailpiece, chinrest and button), the fingerboard, the saddles are also of fine quality ebony.
|Passion-Tradition Artisan violin|
|Sizes||4/4, 7/8, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4|
|Maple||Siberian maple dried over more than 10 years|
|Spruce||Siberian spruce dried over more than 10 years|
|Varnish||New alcohol finish|
|Bridge||** Milo Stamm or Despiau|
|Soundpost||*** Andreas Pahler split|
The different models
A Passion-Tradition Artisan violin can be built after different models from the great early violin-makers, especially the Italian masters:
- Stradivari 1716 “Medici”: one of the finest models of the golden age of the famous violin-maker from Cremona.
- Stradivari 1716 “Provigny”: another beautiful model of Stradivarius.
- Guarneri ‘del Gesù’ 1741 “Vieuxtemps”: one of the last violins made by the renowned violin-maker. It was then owned by Yehudi Menuhin, Itzhak Perlman, or Pinchas Zukerman.
Of course, if you want to try the instrument before purchasing it, you can contact me.
Why should I choose this violin?
This instrument is a very good compromise if you’re looking for great performances but at a rather affordable price. In the top range of student instruments, it can suit more advanced musicians with its playing and hearing qualities. Besides, the good looks of this violin will definitely convince you.
The advantages of the Passion-Tradition Artisan violin
- First, this instrument was entirely handcrafted in keeping with the tradition
- Second, not only are the woods selected and then seasoned for more than 10 years, but they’re also very stable and sustainable.
- Moreover, I personally select every instrument and only keep the best ones. Hence feel free to tell me about everything you need, so that I can find the model that suits you best.
- Purchasing from the Kaiming manufacture, located near Beijing, also comes with a lot of advantages:
- A very good price given the quality of the making.
- Great taste in aesthetics and art, as shown by the savoir-faire developed with French workshops.
- Finely worked pieces that allow the violin to express its full potential as well as to last longer.
- A perfect stability of the instrument, since the climate is quite close to that of Europe.
- The finish, setup, and adjustments are done by me in my workshop. They will bring out the best capacities of the instrument, in a way that respects your choices.
- Very sought-after and renowned, this violin will keep its worth over time.
To have a better idea of how I work on a violin, here’s an article that will explain everything.
Choosing a violin is something special, unique, almost intimate. That’s why I offer you to customise your instrument as much as possible. This way you’ll have a viola that not only suits you, but also looks like you.
Whether it be out of sheer aesthetics reasons or because you’re looking for a specific accessory, feel free to tell me exactly what you need. And if you have no clue of what that is, let me guide you. Together, we can find what fits you best.
Once again, do not hesitate to ask me for anything. Of course, you’ll have to pay for some customisations, but some others can be free.
Types of customisations
- Types of flame maple
- One or two-piece back
- Fittings of boxwood, ebony, or other tonewoods, exotic or local, with more or less details
- Chinrest type
- Strings matching your needs
- Sound adjustments according to your preferences
- Decorations with painting or gold leaf
- And whatever inspires you. I can always find a way to make your dreams come true.
Identification and label
Kaiming instruments are all labelled to avoid forgeries. That’s why they can all be tracked with a serial number that can be found inside the instrument. I will also give you an authenticity certificate that both guarantees where the violin comes from and what it is worth.
Besides, the instruments available in my store have all been selected, prepared, and set up by me. Hence they also have my label.
What your violin-maker thinks of the Passion-Tradition Artisan violin
Passion-Tradition violins are a great example of high-quality Chinese production. They have been selling instruments for fifteen odd years, and have received great praise. That’s why you can find their instruments in a lot of stores and workshops in France. Their success is probably linked to the neat finish and great sound performances, as long as they have been carefully set up and prepared.
All in all, the Artisan series is perfect for intermediate violinists who want to have fun on a beautiful instrument. With this violin, you can achieve great playing sensations, warm tone, and precision in nuances.