A Kaiming violin of the KMG special series is an instrument filled with authenticity before anything else. Not only are the finish magnificent and the dedication to the details astonishing, but the sound performances of the violin are also most striking. This real work of art is set up, prepared and adjusted by me, in my Strasbourg workshop.
Discover now why this violin is made for you.
KMG violin workshop – Passion Tradition
Beijing – China
Characteristics of a Kaiming violin
First and foremost, a special series Kaiming violin is entirely handcrafted, and it is extremely well-made. Each model is a unique piece completely handmade and varnished, in keeping with the European tradition. A detail worth mentioning since the craftsmen of this Chinese workshop learned the violin-making process with several French workshops.
This special series does have a special something to it: the fronts of these instruments were seasoned for 200 years. The roots of these violins go way back, giving you the impression of playing on a century-old museum piece.
As for the tonewood, the back, the ribs, and the neck are of a beautiful flame marple. Chaque planche de bois sèche de manière naturelle pendant plus de 15 années. That makes them very stable, perfect for manufacturing very high-quality instruments. Moreover, it enables them to last much longer.
The oil varnish is particularly remarkable as well: its design based on antique models renders very well. Each instrument thus has a unique personality. Very smooth, the varnish allows the instrument to express all its tone and power.
The fingerboard and the fittings such as the pegs, the chinrest, and the buttons, are in fine ebony. They’re all perfectly seasoned and offer great durability.
|Guan Kaiming Violin special series|
|Models||Stradivari, Guarneri, Guadagnini|
|Maple||Nicely flamed, over 15-year seasoning|
|Spruce||Over 200-year seasoning|
|Varnish||Oil, antique finish|
|Bridge||*** Milo Stamm or Despiau|
|Soundpost||*** Andreas Pahler split|
Why should I choose this violin?
This instrument meets the requirements of the most strict musicians, be they students, teachers, or professional players. Given the several models available, these violins can suit many styles and repertoires – even more with a perfectly adjusted setup by me.
That’s why you’re welcome to contact me so that I can give you my advice on the choice of your instrument.
The advantages of this violin
- First, this instrument was entirely handcrafted in keeping with the tradition
- Second, not only are the woods selected and then seasoned for over 15 years, but they’re also very stable and sustainable.
- What’s more, the spruce front was seasoned for 200 years. While it does not add anything in particular to the 15-year seasoning in terms of stability, it does give an appealing feature to the instrument.
- Moreover, I personally select every instrument and only keep the best ones. Hence feel free to tell me about everything you need, so that I can find the model that suits you best.
- Purchasing from the Kaiming manufacture, located near Beijing, also comes with a lot of advantages:
- A very good price given the quality of the making.
- Great taste in aesthetics and art, as shown by the savoir-faire developed with French workshops.
- Finely worked pieces that allow the violin to express its full potential as well as to last longer.
- A perfect stability of the instrument, since the climate is quite close to that of Europe.
- The finish, setup, and adjustments are done by me in my workshop. They will bring out the best capacities of the instrument, in a way that respects your choices.
- Very sought-after and renowned, this violin will keep its worth over time.
To have a better idea of how I work on a violin, here’s an article that will explain everything.
Choosing a violin is something special, unique, almost intimate. That’s why I offer you to customise your instrument as much as possible. This way you’ll have a violin that not only suits you, but also looks like you.
Whether it be out of sheer aesthetics reasons or because you’re looking for a specific accessory, feel free to tell me exactly what you need. And if you have no clue of what that is, let me guide you. Together, we can find what fits you best.
Once again, do not hesitate to ask me for anything. Of course, you’ll have to pay for some customisations, but some can be free.
Types of customisations
- Types of flame maple
- Back in one or two parts
- Fittings of boxwood, ebony, or other tonewoods, exotic or local, with more or less details
- Chinrest type
- Strings matching your needs
- Sound adjustments according to your preferences
- Decorations with painting or gold leaf
- And whatever inspires you. I can always find a way to make your dreams come true.
Identification and label
Kaiming instruments are all labelled to avoid forgeries. That’s why they can all be tracked with a serial number that can be found inside the instrument. I will also give you an authenticity certificate that both guarantees where the violin comes from and what it is worth.
Besides, the instruments available in my store have all been selected, prepared, and set up by me. Hence they also have my label.
What your violin-maker thinks about the Kaiming violin
There’s a good reason why I chose to offer this type of violin in my store: it displays both the sophistication and personality of handmade violin-making, and yet is still more affordable than the actual Lutherie d’Art.
What appeals to me the most is how unique each piece is. Each shape, each finish is a new telling of the great templates they are made from. It grants me a lot of leeway in how to meet the needs of every musician. Besides, it is very satisfying for me to work on instruments that display enough potential for me to fully express all of my expertise.